Sunday, March 22, 2009

In the Beginning.....

It has been almost 18 months since I started this blog. A lot has happened in my life during those 18 months including.....

  • I saw my last day as an Alderman
  • I applied and was accepted to college to finish my degree
  • I retired from a profession I had been successful in for 18 years
  • I started attending college full time
  • I started a new job
  • I have seen the sun rise almost every day, but have rarely seen the clock strike midnight
  • I have made the Dean's List twice
  • I have made 11 A's and 1 B
  • I have moved twice
  • I am less than 2 months away from graduating with a B.B.A. with triple minors in Economics/Finance, Real Estate and Management/Marketing
  • I have made many new friends on the blog, at school, and at work and have reconnected with many from my past

With all of this being said, I think it is time for me to "move on." I was going to put the song "Movin' On" by Rascal Flatts on here. At one time I thought it was fitting, but not anymore! Parts of that song do hold some truth for me, but the whole is about "running away," something I have not done and will not do. My favorite lines:

I've found you find strength in your moments of weakness
For once I'm at peace with myself
I've been burdened with blame, trapped in the past for too long
I'm movin' on

I've lived in this place and I know all the faces
Each one is different but they're always the same
They mean me no harm but it's time that I face it
They'll never allow me to change

At last I can see life has been patiently waiting for me
And I know there's no guarantees, but I'm not alone
There comes a time in everyone's life
When all you can see are the years passing by
And I have made up my mind that those days are gone
I'm movin' on....

For many reasons, I will not be running for Alderman in October 2009. The biggest being because I do not want to! I have moved too far forward to turn around and go back now! Another big reason I will not throw my hat into the "ring" is because I am currently not a full-time resident of the City of Franklin and have not been since August of 2008. Sure, I will be moving back once school is out, but at this time I do not know where or when that will be. My belongings are in storage in Franklin. Driving to Franklin late every night, after being awake since before dawn, took its toll on me last summer. I realized then that if I wanted to live to see graduation, I needed to be closer to school and do my driving in the mornings. Now, I wake up at 4:30 every morning, drive to Franklin to work until 4:30, then back to Murfreesboro to school until 9:00.

There will be people who say I did not finish what I started here. I will disagree. What I started was not for you, it was for me. Sure, I could continue, but what purpose would it serve? There are many stories within the story that I would love to tell, but to do so would do nothing positive for anyone. Many people want to know how the story ends. It doesn't, it is always the beginning. There will always be "doubters," but those are the same people who came into it that way. Just like you cannot convince me, it was never my intention to convince you.

To all of you who spent the last 18 months in whole or in part reading this, thank you! Many of you continued reading to get the scoop, others to see what I was doing, some "just because," and some for a combination of all or reasons of your own. Whether you used anonymous, your true identity, or a screen name, thank you to everyone who commented - in a positive way or otherwise. Many of the people who kept up the most, I think, have joined me on Facebook. Because of other blogs and forums for anonymous commenting, they all know their "identities" are safe from my disclosure. Some of these are people who, a year ago or less, I did not know. Some I still have not met or spoken with, but hope to very soon! I especially want to thank these people for trusting me with their true identities!

To my family and friends who have awoken every morning for the last 18 months worried and wondering what kind of comments were received or what I had written before going to bed, I am sorry for the pain this blog may have put you through and I thank you for letting me do this "my way"! My family and friends are THE BEST! I have never told anyone "the complete rest of the story," including my family and friends. Thank you for not pushing! One day soon I will find that trust again....I want people to know me and like me for who I am and not what they read or hear in the Franklin gossip mill!

So, I guess this is it! I will continue reading the local newspaper (WAM) and I will continue to give my opinion on Drinkin' The Franklin Kool Aid, among other mediums. For the next week or two I will post comments and answer questions here. Who knows, one day I may choose to involve myself in local politics again. For now, however, it is my choice to continue moving forward with my life!

In the beginning........

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bloom where you are planted...and as you know 2 Corinthains 5:17 Take care and God Bless.

Anonymous said...

Will you reserve your blog in case you want to pick it back up or continue another day?

Anonymous said...

Did you already have your graduation party?!

Anonymous said...

Well said! Congratulations on everything!

Dodson Randolph said...

8:59 - thanks!

9:14 - If I want to continue another day, I will figure something out!

8:50 - I haven't graduated yet, so no. The party is going to be on May 16th. If you want an invite, shoot me an email.

franklinbootgirl - Well, what can I say? You have been one of the most upfront, honest, and inspirational readers of the blog. Your comments are one thing I will miss most! Next time you see me in Kroger, introduce yourself! Thank you!

Anonymous in Sarasota said...

Being true to yourself is not always the easiest road, but it is always the best road. Seems like you have chosen the best road.

Anonymous said...

Scary & sad. It may help as daylight lengthens.
Our daughter went to MTSU
and her Grandmother years ago during very different times.
The Lord keep you safe.

Anonymous said...

Bet there's alot of people thanking their lucky stars you're stopping this blog. They have to live with the truths in their lives and worry everyday who else might know and when they might come out. You might be the only one left with nothing to hide. Thank you for giving us a glimpse of the smart, strong, compassionate, woman you really are.

Anonymous said...

Well done, Dodson. Live long and prosper.

Anonymous said...

Did anybody ever tell you, ask you, demand you, threaten you to stop writing this? Is that your reason for stopping now?

Dodson Randolph said...

free franklin, thank you for your insight and comments! I enjoy reading what you have to write!

5:15 - There were superficial threats by anonymous cowards and my attorneys advised me to stay away from some specific topics regarding the COF. Other than those, nope and nope!

Anonymous said...

Dodson...take care my friend and I for one am so very proud of you. I just love the person you have grown to be and I believe always have been. Stay in touch...

S..in East Tn.

Dodson Randolph said...

10:58 - Thanks and I will! You do the same!

2:58 - Thanks, I think!

emncunc said...

Some Good Advice




1. The best way to get even is to forget.

2. Feed your faith and your doubts will starve to death..

3 God wants spiritual fruit, not religious nuts.

4. Some folks wear their halos much too tight.

5. Unless you can create the WHOLE universe in 5 days, then perhaps giving ‘advice’ to God isn’t such a good idea.

6. Sorrow looks back, worry looks around, and faith looks up.

7. Standing in the middle of the road is dangerous. You will get knocked down by traffic from both ways.

8. Words are windows to the heart.

9. A skeptic is a person who, when he sees the handwriting on the wall,claims it is a forgery.

10. It isn’t difficult to make a mountain out of a molehill, just add a little dirt.

Good Luck to you Ms. Randolph, Franklin needs more like you in the public arena. God only knows we don't have much to go on presently.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on being dismissed from the Williams v City of Franklin lawsuit. Too bad the media only prints one side of every story. Bet we won't see this story on an e-blast or web updated article. They made it out to be you were the cause. Now you've been dismissed and the city is still in it. Hope you will get back into the blogosphere with this.

Dodson Randolph said...

2:21 - Thank you! Maybe the media will pick it up one day...yeah, I think I may get back into the "blogosphere." Not because of this, but because I miss it!

Anonymous said...

You were dismissed??? Why hasn't there been any press on it?

emncunc said...

Hey there Ms. Randolph, as far as I am concerned you are still a cut above all the elected and/or appointed jerk officials in this elitist town of Franklin.

The more we could have like you, the better we would be.

Just keep hanging in there, we need you to represent us in this one horse town.

Anonymous said...

The media's lack of story shows the sources of their information comes from a tightly knit group. No wonder there's not unbiased news in Franklin.

Dodson Randolph said...

I am NOT going to defend the media, however, the federal court judge didn't sign the dismissal until just after 11:00 this morning. I have known about it for about two weeks though. The most interesting thing to come from my day has been reading a never before seen by me until today 446 page deposition. I read it cover to cover.....very interesting stuff!

citizen bomb said...

Hey Dodson,

It sounds like things are all falling into place in no small part due to your efforts and perserverance.

I hope all continues to go well!

Call for a cup of coffee sometime,

Citizen Bomb

Cool Springs Todd said...

Thanks for all your service! I hear there are some new positions open in the Cool Springs government!